Outline of Barber Program
Proper accredited barber programs are a rarity nowadays. As the only barber school in Springfield, the Academy of Hair Design barber curriculum combines new with tried-and-true techniques that set students up for success.
Students in the barber program learn modern techniques out of the “typical” realm of barbering including access to additional cutting, styling, and color training that is uncommon in traditional barber schools.
Barber courses include:
- Cuts with shears and razor – Men, Women and Children
- Facials and skin care
- Design and styling
- Hair coloring
- Perms and hair straightening
- State required procedures like sanitation
- Professional and business skills
As with our cosmetology program, barber students are also educated using the Salon Summit Business Center and by educators trained by L’Oreal Professionnel.
We believe the number one way to teach our students how to be successful in a salon, barbershop, or spa is to simulate that environment throughout their time at the Academy. Out of this belief, the Academy team developed Salon Realities to create this atmosphere on the educational level.
The student body is divided the into salon teams and challenged with real-life situations they may encounter when working. The teams compete against each other on a monthly basis in the areas of guest count, requests, product sales, and attendance.
Each team is set as a functioning salon including positions of:
Owner/Salon Manager (Academy Educator)
- Helps to facilitate the team
Student Salon Co-Managers (Academy Students)
- Watches statistics and team totals
- Works with the front desk and helps the salon managers/owners
- Develops ideas for advertising and marketing initiatives
Student Council Member (Academy Students)
- Provides encouragement and a voice for the student body
These roles will allow students to:
- Set up their academy salon, distribute work assignments, develop promotions, build a team environment and establish their own unique culture
- Gain work experience in managing people and working as a team
- Compete against other academy salons for best attendance, most clients, most revenue, most requests, and highest retail sales
- Compete in special competitions and fashion shows
- Support and encourage one another in accomplishing their goals
- Provide immediate feedback to school administration
- Track results and set goals